Maja (pronounced My-ya)
Maja supports you in your journey to health and wellbeing.
As a Gentling Way Practitioner, Maja does not force or over-ride any aspect of you or your body. Instead she listens, uses subtlety and gifts your body the chance to return to its natural state.
Qualifications and experience
- Cert 4 in Shiatsu
- Cert 4 in Sport (Athlete support services)
- Diploma in Shiatsu and Oriental Medicine
- Chi Nei Tsang – abdominal massage – taught by Jutta Kellenberger from the Tao Garden training centre in Thailand
- Energetic Medicine (100 hour intensive)
- NZQA – Acupuncture/Herbs Degree Year 1 and 2 (2009 and 2010)
- Registered Practitioner of the Shiatsu Practitioners Association Aotearoa (New Zealand) INC 2010, 2011, 2012
- Fundamentals Phase 4 Ortho-bionomy
- The Arvigo® Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy – Self Care
- Practitioner of The Arvigo® Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy
- TRE Tension, trauma release training Level 1
- Registered member of the Shiatsu Association of Australia
- Living ligaments 1 with Heather Bruce
- Painless pregnancy and Easy birthing and Beyond with Heather Bruce
The Gentling Way
Under Maja’s practice you will discover the new you that awaits within. The one who is calm and clear, focused and ready for all life, without pain or tension and with all systems working as designed. Your breathing, digestion, structure and circulation will be taken back to an easy balance.
Her Gentling Way approach is effective for anyone who has until now found little lasting relief. This may include people on the spectrum of never having sought assistance outside mainstream, to those who have seemingly tried everything and are still looking.
In Heather Bruce’s words, health can be defined as ‘the body and soul’s ability to adapt to change. You must flow with the punches that life throws and rise to the top in grace'.
All of life is in a state of change; the light/night cycle, being hungry and full, the seasons of the year, menstrual cycles, and the life cycle from conception to death. When you try to keep it all under control - life can’t flow. Maja can help you to correct your flows. At every phase of life allowing your circulation to flow will ease these warning symptoms. Pain, bloating and fluid retention will be no more.
In Maja’s gentle touch sessions, she will help you with:
- Stress, fatigue and all adrenal or metabolic challenges
- Weakened immune system
- Feeling the cold, catching cold and never feeling well enough to enjoy life
- Digestive issues, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), reflux, gastritis, constipation, heartburn or indigestion
- Muscular tension, aches and pains, structural distress, fibromyalgia
- Twisted pelvis and past broken tailbone
- Misplaced or mispositioned uterus and other organs
- Frequent urinary infections or incontinence
- Scar tissue, adhesion repair
- Surgical recovery
- General unwinding
A Woman’s Body
When flowing as designed, you should feel empowered in your body.
If you are blocked in any way, the flow of Qi (energy), lymph, blood and nerves messaging around your body will send out ‘repair’ even ‘stop that’ warnings or ‘hormone messages’.
You may feel messages that tell you to drink more water, sleep more or perhaps go for a walk.
Your monthly cycle is your health report card so don’t ignore it. Perhaps changes from perfect monthly bleeding could be your trigger to heed these warnings.
Changes may be because of:
- Menstrual cycle disruptions and distress
- Endometriosis, cysts, fibroids and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Bladder infections or incontinence
- Pelvic or sacrum pain
- Prolapse through weakened or damaged muscles
- Scars and adhesions
- Menopause related symptoms
Maja will help you unblock the energy and restore you to optimum flows.
Maja can support you to have easier and happier pregnancies, and to make the most of being a new parent. Together, we can make sure parents and bub are as happy and healthy as possible.
Maja will use traditional wisdoms found within the Maya Arvigo® therapies, pelvic and perineal steaming, moxa, and other Gentling Ways in your treatment.
Through following what nature expects your body can be realigned to help make pregnancy easier.
Maja can help you to relieve:
- Nausea, vomiting and morning sickness
- Heartburn and digestive distress
- Recurrent pregnancy loss, spotting and bleeding
- Back ache or sciatica – however severe
- Pelvic pain and pubic symphysis disorder (PSD)
- Carpal tunnel and other fluid related conditions
- Energy and mood fluctuations
- Post C-section problems
We all have fathers, maybe brothers, sons, friends, relations, lovers and partners. We can all touch each other lovingly at home, in pregnancy, and at any stage of our shared lives.
Often it women in men’s lives that understands that men matter too and are the first to suggest seeking support. Pain, stress, and dysfunction are warning signs that they might need a treatment.
Maja’s gentle nature and caring ways ensure that you arrive feeling welcomed and leave feeling renewed.
Although she specialises in women’s wellbeing, many men benefit from Maja’s approach to wellness. Maja’s gentle nature and soothing caring ways provide a relaxing environment through which anyone may heal, dealing with:
- Stress and anxiety
- Muscular skeletal problems
- Leg and circulatory distress – including in the chest and breathing woes
- Prostatitis – frequent urination, inability to urinate easily
- Vitality impairment including erectile dysfunction
- Pelvic pain
- Sperm quality challenges
- Life support
Treatments will be determined through reviewing your past and present healthcare needs and a diagnosis and application of modalities and treatments will be made after your initial consultation.
This will ensure that your symptoms and wellness techniques are perfectly matched.
During your session, Maja will use a number of modalities. In a session you should usually expect:
- Abdominal massage focused on aligning your reproductive and abdominal organs
- Evaluation and application of structural alignment of your spine with attention to the sacrum (the triangular bone at the base of your spine, lumbar (the lower back, where the spine curves inward toward the abdomen) and thoracic (the spinein the upper back and abdomen) spine
- Instruction in self-care home techniques to enhance your professional treatment session
- Recommendation of complimentary modalities
A session will usually cost $150.
You can download a questionnaire that will help with Maja’s preparation for your session here.
Gentling Ways Session – $200
Using Heather’s Bruce’s Wise Women’s ways of healing, this essential healing session gives you incredible relaxation and soothing, body restoration and belly health.
Using a number of modalities, deigned around your body’s needs, we will spend 2 hours with therapeutic hands and touching using Heather’s Gentling Way.
30-minute SPECIAL PACKAGES – $75
My 30-minute packages are designed for those times when you’re in a rush, or would like a taster of my more intensive sessions.
Stress seems part of life sometimes, but we do need to take time to relax, recharge and strengthen ourselves. For the time poor, this relaxation package is top to toe. Head, scalp, face and neck massage as well as feet, you will feel ready to face more challenges.
Pain Free Periods
If you’re pre-menstrual, ovulating or at any other stage in your cycle my pain free period package is available. Ideal for cramps, irritability, sleeplessness and general well-being. A number of modalities will be used such as massage to ease pelvic congestion, treatments to warm and relax and compresses to reduce toxins.
When you have over-indulged or feel like you need to rid your body of toxins then you may need a quick detox. Using wraps, cupping, lymphatic drainage and my own recipe oils, you will feel like your body is cared for and in recovery.
Shiatsu is a traditional hands-on Japanese healing therapy that has been formulated over the last 100 years.
Shiatsu literally means finger pressure and as such describes part of the therapy whereby natural body weight (finger, thumbs, elbows, forearms, feet and knees) is used in applying pressure to special points on the body. This is combined with stretches, joint rotations and joint manipulation to give an all-over treatment, which aims at treating the patient on a holistic level.
The aim is to rebalance the flow of energy or Qi, and incorporates pressure, holding, rubbing, heating or stretching techniques which can be deep and firm, but which are applied with sensitivity.
Shiatsu is a deeply relaxing experience and regular Shiatsu sessions help to prevent the build-up of , reduce back pain, headaches and neck stiffness, joint pain and reduced mobility, menstrual problems and digestive problems.
Clients are able to claim from their Health Fund for Shiatsu Massage Treatments.
Cupping is an ancient therapy based on the meridian theory of the body in which a cup is applied to the skin and the pressure in the cup is reduced (either by heat or suction) in order to draw and hold skin and muscles in certain acupuncture points or painful body parts inside the cup.
Cupping removes stagnation in the body and allows qi to flow freely. It helps to rejuvenate certain organs that are not functioning at their best, helps to activate the lymphatic system, promote circulation, and is good for deep tissue repair.
Cupping can help:
- The treatment of pain
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Chronic cough and asthma
- The release of toxins
- Activate the lymphatic system
- The appearance of stretch marks and varicose veins
Are you feeling disconnected, out of sorts or stressed?
When a river’s currents are not flowing, debris like branches and sticks dam up in one spotThis can then make the river stagnate.
Maybe you, like the river, need to remove body stagnation.
Maja’s gentle flowing touch restores lymph flows undoing the residue that has stuck. Your body will remember how it was meant to work before life got in the way. Whatever has clogged your system – operations, having children, incidents or accidents, we can unblock this together.
Restore your vitality before anything other problems emerge and create further issues.
We hang on to what we feel we can’t let out.
Maja can support you and remove the blockage that results in:
- Depression or moodiness
- Constant neck and headaches and migraines
- Bloating and feelings of discomfort
- Digestive issues, IBS, sensitive and leaky gut
- Muscles and tendons pain and inflexibility
- PMS, irregular or painful periods
- Pregnancy complications
- Breathing and the sensation of not being able to take a full breath
Stuck Liver Qi is really just that you're not flowing. Maja can help you discover your flows bringing you into alignment with what nature intended for you at your life age and stage.
Moxibustion is a form of heat therapy that invigorates the flow of Qi in the body and dispel certain pathogenic (bacteria or viruses) influences.
Maja will hold a burning moxa stick close to, but not touching, the surface of the skin producing a unique form of very penetrating heat. You may feel a sudden flooding of warmth that radiates along a specific pathway This signals that the flow of Qi has been freed.
Moxibustion is good for:
- Pain from injury or arthritis
- Digestive problems and irregular bowel movements
- Gynaecological and obstetrical conditions, including breech presentation
- Protection against cold and flu
Maya Abdominal Therapy – Arvigo® Technique
Supporting reproductive and digestive wellness, this external. non-invasive manipulation technique is used to release physical, mental and spiritual tension, repositions internal organs that may have shifted and opens up energy pathways to allow the flow of blood, lymph, nerve and qi within the body. Maja is the only Maya Abdominal Therapy Practitioner in Far North Queensland.
The Arvigo® Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy address the position and health of the pelvic, reproductive and abdominal organs in both men and women.
A session will normally include:
- Upper and lower abdominal massage to align reproductive and abdominal organs to their optimal position, improve circulation to your organs and promote the vital flow to support the body’s own healing capability
- Pelvic alignment evaluation and bodywork to improve alignment and comfort
- Complimentary support modalities that support your health and wellness
- Faja – a traditional lower abdomen support wrap
- Bajos – a traditional Maya herbal pelvic steam bath
- Castor oil packs
- Maja will also provide support that will help you to perform self-care to continue to improve your symptoms.
- Nutritional support
- Lifestyle education
- Instruction in self-care massage
2-3 sessions are usually recommended to address most conditions.
Arvigo® Therapy is a registered Trademark of The Arivgo® Technique of Mayan Abdominal Therapy.
You can download a questionnaire that will help with Maja’s preparation for your Arvigo® session here.
Traditional cultures world-wide have used this simple and effective relaxing health care process forever. Used for wellness and life support for men and women alike.
You may also hear this be called yoni steaming.
A natural and gentle holistic approach to perineal steaming is a practice in which a woman allows the warmth of herbal steam to permeate the exterior of her perineum. Respected by healers around the globe, perineal steaming can help with fertility, menopause and gynaecological problems. Specific benefits can be seen for women living in Far North Queensland.
- Reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation
- Regulate irregular or absent cycles
- Increase fertility
- Speed healing of reproductive system after birth
- Reduce uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse & endometriosis.
- Assist with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy, or C-birth scarring
- Detoxify the womb and remove toxins from the body
- Ease symptoms of menopause including dryness or pain during intercourse